Our Favorite Things: Schaum Torte
Mar 14, 2014 02:24PM ● Published by Laura Ustanovska
Photo by Heart & Soul Photography
As promised, here is the dessert to go with the rack of lamb in the March issue – it's a new twist on shaum torte and most delicious! We have to give credit to a fellow teacher at Wee Know Preschool in Hartland for sharing this awesome recipe; it has definitely become a favorite for Easter or any celebration. Baked the night before and left in the oven until the next morning, most of the dessert is made by party day! Happy Easter to all!
6 egg whites
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ¾ cups sugar
8 ounces cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups heavy cream, whipped (not cool whip)
Top with strawberries, blueberries, raspberries or chocolate, etc.
1. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt on low speed until foamy.
2. Gradually add sugar while beating on high speed until stiff peaks form. DO NOT UNDERBEAT.
3. Spread in a greased 9x13 pan, glass dish or pottery dish of your choice.
4. Bake at 275 degrees for 1 hour. TURN OFF OVEN AND DO NOT OPEN DOOR-COOL IN OVEN OVERNIGHT OR 12 HOURS.
The next day:
1. Beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth; fold in whipped cream.
2. Spread over meringue.
3. Chill for a few hours.
4. Before serving, top with your favorite fruit or topping.